Tuesday, January 14, 2014

How to Find Out Which Direction To Go In Life In 700 Words Or Less!

In my last post, I talked a lot about being a wandering generality.  If you haven’t read it, go there now and read it.  That’s right, don’t think or blink or even breathe, just jump back to my last post.

 I’ll wait, I promise. 

Leaves fall from the trees, the ball drops again at Times Square…

Oh, goody, your back!  I’m sure that you read my rather depressing story about how NOT to live your life. Right?  Yeah, you definitely don’t want to go there in your personal life.  But, some people, or should I say, most people have to learn from their experiences.

Anyway, I finally got around to my point about finding out what your passion is in life because if you aren’t passionate about what you do, you will probably live a very boring, tedious life, to say the least.
So, I’m sure that in your mind, the question begs…How do I find my passion?

There are usually two ways to do this. 

Way to find your passion #1 – Do what you love the most.  If you have a particular thing that you find yourself doing all of the time, that you just love, or if you find yourself reading and studying about a particular subject, then finding your passion is going to be easy. 

For example, if you find yourself always looking at artwork and reading about it, then perhaps you should do research about different careers in the field of art.  Even if you can’t make art, there are all sorts of things you could be involved with that are in that field.

Unrealistic you say? 

Look at Simon Cowell. (OK, maybe you SHOULDN'T look at him)  Cowell, as most of you know, is a major hotshot of the music industry, however, he has had no formal music training nor does he play an instrument.  He doesn't even sing.  However, his passion is the music industry and he has clearly made his mark there. 

So my point again, is if you are truly passionate about something, you will find out a way to get involved with it and make it your life mission.

If you already know what you love, then you are already on your way.  However, what if you don’t know what to do with your life?  What if you have absolutely no clue as to what it is you want to do, and you find just thinking about it drives you nuts?

Way to find your passion #2 My advice would be to explore different paths and ideas.  You may need to try several different things to see where your interests lie.  Considering that we are in the information age, there really isn't a reason for you to not explore vocations that you may be interested in.

One good way would be to start looking at categories.  Whenever I need to look at categories of subjects, I go on Amazon.  The reason for this, is because you can pick a topic and then drill down intro different categories on that topic very easily.

This will give you an opportunity to explore many ideas that might interest you.

After you have looked at different subjects and their categories, you can order books very cheaply to begin exploring different areas. 

My way of thinking is that if you are really interested in a particular hobby or vocation, then purchasing a book on it will give you an actual thrill.  No kidding!  And don’t worry about spending a wad of money, because you can almost always start on a shoestring. 

If you buy used books on Amazon, you will find that they are very cheap.  When I got my master’s degree in Education Technology, I bought all of my books for less than a quarter of the price the university wanted to sell me theirs for.  So go cheap if you can’t afford it.

There are a lot of successes out there that had nothing but a dream when they started out. Bill Gates started Microsoft in a garage so, start out small in a big way.

Once you have uncovered your possible passion, you will need to actually practice, do or explore it as much as you can.  Maybe it will be for you, maybe it won’t.  There are always other paths to explore.
You may find something else that knocks your socks off.

Oh, don’t forget the principle we discussed in my last post.  You know, the principle of following money rather than your passion.  Would you rather do what it is you really love to do for $40,000 a year or do something you hate every day for $500,000? 

Think about it.  Seriously.



No comments:

Post a Comment